An End of Appeasement and Realising a Democratic Iran
Mike Pompeo, the US Secretary of State, made a speech in Cairo outlining the termination of the United States’ policy of appeasement towards the ruling mullahs in Iran. He said,
“we joined the Iranian people in calling for freedom and accountability”, adding, “the age of self-inflicted American shame is over, and so are the policies that produced so much needless suffering.”
He reiterated the need to form strategic partnerships with the mullahs’ international enemies, suggesting that when these forces collaborated, they were able to “advance.”
Following his statement, Maryam Rajavi, president-elect of the Iranian opposition, which includes the People’s Mujahedin Organisation of Iran (MEK), welcomed Pompeo’s announcement and welcomed an end to the policy of appeasement that has characterized US Iranian policy for decades.
She reiterated that the Iranian regime relied on a climate of fear, instilled by the accumulation of long-range weapons of mass destruction, violations of human rights at home, and the export of state-sponsored terrorism abroad.
Recognition of the National Council of Resistance of #Iran, as the sole democratic alternative to the regime, is imperative to rectifying four decades of appeasement. These are essential steps in facing a regime which only understands the decisive language of force.#FreeIran pic.twitter.com/fWbFGIzrDs
— Maryam Rajavi (@Maryam_Rajavi) January 13, 2019
Mrs. Rajavi asserted that the only way to end the religious fascism that has typified this regime is through the Iranian public and their unwavering pursuit of regime change.
She reiterated the importance of international governments and organizations recognizing the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) as the only viable democratic alternative to the Iranian regime.
Maryam Rajavi calls for necessary steps to rectifying and ending the disastrous policy of appeasement
Maryam Rajavi and the MEK have long advocated for a transition to a democratic Iran. She has put together a ten-step plan to democracy that would ensure a smooth transition from the authoritarian dictatorship under the mullahs, to a free Iran governed by principles of a secular democracy.
#MaryamRajavi's statement welcomes @SecPompeo's announcement that the U.S. will no longer protect #Iran’s ruling mullahs &his emphasis that“We joined the Iranian people in calling for freedom &accountability.”&an end for the policy of appeasement.#FreeIranhttps://t.co/VP47yutZtH pic.twitter.com/lBUImTviuV
— NCRI-FAC (@iran_policy) January 12, 2019
Maryam Rajavi and the MEK advocate the following measures to help bring democratic governance to Iran:
- International recognition of the Iranian people’s right to overthrow the mullahs’ fascist dictatorship and remove themselves from the shackles of the repressive regime.
- The addition of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) and the Iranian Ministry of Intelligence and Security (MOIS) on EU and US terrorist entity lists.
- The expulsion of Iranian regime agents from the US and Europe.
- The referral of Iranian human rights violations to the UN Security Council.
- The opening of an international tribunal to investigate the murder of 30,000 political dissidents in the summer of 1988.
- The removal of the Iranian clerical regime from the UN and the immediate recognition of representation of the people’s just Resistance.
- The expulsion of the Iranian regime’s forces from Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Lebanon, and Afghanistan.
- Compelling the government of Iraq to pay compensation for the properties, equipment, arms, and camps the PMOI/MEK and the National Liberation Army of Iran (NLA), which had fully paid for them and whose evidentiary documents are available.