MEK Iran: The Price Iranians Might Have to Pay If the Mullahs Remain in Power
Last Thursday, the state-run Arman Daily revealed that at least 90% of Iran’s workers are living in total poverty. More recently, their low levels of income mean they are unable to meet their most basic needs.
The poverty line
The People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI / MEK Iran), and the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) reported that in some regions in Iran, the poverty line for a family of 4 now stands at 100 million rials monthly.
Any workers who earn no more than 30 million rials monthly are receiving just a 3rd of the minimum required for basic living. This is the true meaning of absolute poverty.
What the Arman Daily means is that many breadwinners cannot meet the basic dietary needs of their families. For months they are unable to buy meat and even due to exorbitant prices they cannot afford to consume sufficient amounts of rice and dairy products and even bread.
On December 4th, parliament speaker, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, did admit that when visiting one particular city, he realized that people were actually “borrowing bread.” In some places, according to other media sources, people were leasing bread, which meant accumulating huge debts that at some point will need to be repaid. Searching in garbage bins for discarded food is another new trend used by the poor to find the food they need.
Well-stocked store shelves with food no one can afford
Regime president Hassan Rouhani said store shelves are full, but maybe he doesn’t realize few people can afford the prices.
The fact is that Iran is considered to be the eighth richest country in terms of natural resources but only ranks 120th for the quality-of-life it provides.
Due to the mullahs’ most destructive policies, wealth distribution is not fair. The fact is that the ruling elite, which makes up a small percentage of the population, has far too large a share of the country’s wealth which it has mainly gained for itself by poor economic policies and abusing its power by repressing the people.
Exploiting the country’s wealth to favor the mullahs has reached a point that even the media which allegedly supports the regime acknowledges that Iran’s middle class has been destroyed and the economy is about to collapse.
Iran is lying right at the bottom of the global misery chart
Economist Farshad Momeni warned on December 1st, 2020 that Iran’s misery has reached 70 percent, so now Iran is lying right at the bottom of the global misery chart.
According to Alireza Zakani, the Parliament Research Center head, 70% of bank assets belong to just 1% of the population and 90% of bank assets belong to 4% of the population. This shows the deepening rift between the living conditions of the majority of the population and the country’s ruling elite.
For most Iranians, life is just becoming more miserable by the day.
and mismanagement within the regime
The regime says it blames today’s poverty on international sanctions. However, it is evident that any sanctions account for just 30% of the economic downturn while and the remaining 70 percent is due to corruption and mismanagement within the regime.
The previous minister of transportation, Abbas Akhundi, and Gholamreza Mesbahi Moghaddam, member of the Assembly of Experts, admitted that annually $80 billion worth of imports and exports are not even registered, and $20 billion of this amount ends up in people who are evil and corrupt and just want to build their own individual empires.
It is quite evident that the situation can’t keep going on like it is. Iran is a country that has experienced 3 major nationwide uprisings in less than 2 years and brought the mullahs’ regime nearly collapsed in 2019.
The regime was only able to maintain power through brutal means such as the shooting of 1,500 protesters in a few days. Reuters confirmed in a special report on December 23, 2019, about the deadly crackdown on November nationwide protests in Iran the death toll of 1500 that was announced by the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI / MEK Iran) on December 15, 2019.
But the key problems, the poverty, the corruption, the unemployment, they won’t go away. It is only a matter of time when the people overthrow the regime.
Tags: Iran Economy, Iran human rights, Iran Opposition, Iran Protests, Iran Uprising, MEK, Mujahedin-e Khalq, National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), People's Mojahedin organization of Iran, PMOI