MEK Iran: The Political and Social Costs of Navid Afkari’s Execution for Iran’s Mullahs
The execution of a well-known Iranian wrestling champion, Navid Afkari, has set off anger throughout the world.
Those who issued statements condemning this act from within Iran included the following:
- political prisoners from different prisons;
- students from different universities;
- people from all walks of life;
- some celebrities and prominent figures issued statements.
- On the evening of 12 September 2020, supporters of the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI / MEK Iran), the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), organized worldwide protests.
- supporters of the (PMOI / MEK Iran), across Iran have posted banners, placards, reaffirming their commitment to continue Navid’s path, in achieving freedom and democracy in Iran.
After the brutal execution of #NavidAfkari, who was a 27-year-old #Iranian wrestling champion, sentenced for taking part in the 2018 protests. There are currently dozens of political prisoners on death role who are due to face the same fate.#MEK #Iran pic.twitter.com/FXa4HXuSer
— MEK Iran (Mujahedin-e Khalq) (@MEK_Iran) September 17, 2020
The main reason for Navid’s execution was intended to cause fear among ordinary Iranians if they dared to challenge the theocratic regime. So far, this hasn’t been the result and people are angered about this move.
Many of the prisoners have been incarcerated not because of crimes they have committed but because they do not support the regime and were prepared to protest in the street to spread their views.
The Karaj Central prison inmates made it quite clear that even if they are tortured and threatened with execution this will not stifle their intentions to sooner rather than later overthrow the regime. A similar sentiment was expressed by the prisoners of Tehran’s Qezel Hesar prison, who wrote ‘’Khamenei should know that with this criminal act, he has only brought himself closer to the overthrow of his regime.”
Young people had their say too. Some from Tehran said they would do everything they could to prevent any future executions taking place of young people. A group of students studying at the Sharif University of Technology in Tehran said: “The regime…….only understands the language of firmness and outrage, and soon it will be overthrown.
The honorable president of the UFC, Dana White, expressed her support for the abolition of Navid Afkari's execution. Dear Mr. White, from the promise of ideas and people who are being killed every day by the dictatorial government of the Islamic Republic;#SaveNavidAfkari https://t.co/UwbnmJVDJ5 pic.twitter.com/jSTxs56lyl
— ????????? ????✌️ (@BARANDAAZ_NEWS) September 4, 2020
The international response reacted in a similar way to Iranians by condemning the execution of Navid. For example, Richard Goldberg from the Foundation for Defense of Democracies (FDD) remarked in a tweet: “In the wake of Navid Afkari’s murder, the Council on Foreign Relations and any other US institutions planning virtual events with Iran’s foreign minister, Javad Zarif, should cancel them immediately.”
As a result of Navid’s fate, Germany has now canceled a visit to Berlin by Mohammad Javad Zarif, a key member of the regime. This will do little to bring back Navid and condemnation of his sentence to execution should have happened a long time ago.
Good. About time Germany grew a spine. I hope other countries in EU follow lead and blacklist Zarif and all the Iran regime henchmen for good.https://t.co/Xr1PmtEkI8
— Arsen Ostrovsky (@Ostrov_A) September 13, 2020
Maryam Rajavi, the President-elect of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) reminded the international community that because they did nothing to condemn Navid’s death penalty it makes them appear as though they support these sorts of crimes against humanity. She said ‘’The UN Security Council, its member states, the Human Rights Council, High Commissioner for Human Rights, the EU and all international human rights authorities must take practical, effective measures against the regime in Iran for the execution of Navid Afkari and 120,000 political prisoners in the last 41 years.”
The mullahs’ criminal regime hanged #NavidAfkari this morning. The people of #Iran and its brave youth will not remain silent against the cowardly execution of this courageous son of #Shiraz. They will rise in solidarity with the heroic people of Fars.
— Maryam Rajavi (@Maryam_Rajavi) September 12, 2020
NCRI’s Foreign Affairs Committee chairman, Mohammad Mohadessin, said that Iranian citizens are seeking a stronger stance against the mullah’s regime which in the end it could cause its collapse.
On September 12th supporters of the MEK supporters held protests in Europe and the U.S. to condemn the execution of Navid Afkari. The cities included:
- Paris, supporters of the MEK and the NCRI took part in a rally in Paris to protest Navid Afkari’s execution.
- London, supporters of the (NCRI) and the (PMOI / MEK Iran), protested against the brutal execution of Navid Afkari in London and spoke the words “Down with Khamenei” and “Down with Rouhani”.
- The Hague, Iranians who supported the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) and the MEK were involved in a rally in front of the Iranian embassy, protesting about the mullahs’ brutal execution of Navid Afkari.
— Iran Freedom (@4FreedominIran) September 12, 2020
- In Norway Iranians supporters of the (NCRI) and the (PMOI / MEK Iran) in Oslo protested Navid Afkari’s execution and demanded that serious action should be by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
#Iranians, the supporters of the National Council of Resistance of Iran and #MEK staged a rally in Oslo and called on the Norwegian gov. to strongly condemn the brutal hanging of #NavidAfkari by the mullahs' regime#NoImpunity4Mullahs pic.twitter.com/cttSFF5WNK
— NCRI-FAC (@iran_policy) September 12, 2020
- Iranians, the supporters of the National Council of Resistance of Iran, and MEK staged a rally in front of the Swedish Parliament and called on the Swedish gov. to strongly condemn the brutal hanging of Navid Afkari by the mullahs’ regime.
#Iranians, the supporters of the National Council of Resistance of Iran, and #MEK staged a rally in front of the Swedish Parliament and called on the Swedish gov. to strongly condemn the brutal hanging of #NavidAfkari by the mullahs' regime. #NoImpunity4Mullahs pic.twitter.com/lNFrs2MGdV
— NCRI-FAC (@iran_policy) September 12, 2020
- Iranians, supporters of the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI / MEK), and the NCRI staged a rally in Bern, Switzerland to protest the execution of Navid Afkari.
Neda Amani Student of political science and history, Human rights activist, a supporter of the MEK with her football team in Switzerland to protest the execution of Navid Afkari.
FC Fortuna Olten women‘s soccer team 2nd league in #Switzerland is condemning the execution of #NavidAfkari. We ask the @SFV_ASF @fifamedia and other clubs to also condemn his execution. #WeAreNavid#StopExecutionsInIran #Iran pic.twitter.com/jFEphr2ZRg
— Neda Amani (@NedaAmani68) September 12, 2020
- In Belgium, the Iranian community who are supporters of the MEK / NCRI called for urgent action against the regime in Brussels at the Iranian embassy.
— سازمان مجاهدین خلق ایران (@PMOIRAN) September 12, 2020
Marching outside @WhiteHouse to denounce appeasement of #Iran ayatollahs. These appeasers are complicit in the execution of #NavidAfkari and that of thousands yet unknown or unannounced in Iran. @EUintheUS @USAdarFarsi @VOAIran @HouseForeign pic.twitter.com/W0zWfUZ0Er
— Organization of Iranian American Communities-OIAC (@OrgIAC) September 12, 2020
Mahin Horri, the whose written report above has been abridged, wrote that: “the people of Iran and the main resistance movement are about to overthrow this regime and realize the long-sought dream of establishing freedom and democracy in their country. The execution of national champion Navid Afkari has only strengthened their resolve in achieving this goal. The world should stand with them.’’